Thursday, October 8, 2026

Proverbs 8:4

The book of Proverbs gives us insights into so many different areas of life. The book gives us instruction on how to live our lives for God. Here is a proverb that gives us insight about wisdom crying out:

Proverbs 8:4 (ESV)

“To you, O men, I call,

and my cry is to the children of man.


God wants to give us His wisdom.  Note what James says about this thought:


James 1:5-6 (ESV)

5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.


In chapter eight of Proverbs we have the voice of Wisdom crying out.   She is crying out for us to follow her and embrace her.   The entire chapter is about Wisdom telling us about her beauty and about her benefits.   In the above verses we see “who” Wisdom is calling.   She is calling to all mankind.   She is calling all mankind and their children.   There is no one She is not calling out to hear Her benefits.   The issue is not the call.  The issue is the response.   Note what Solomon tells us in chapter one of this book:


Proverbs 1:23-28 (ESV)

23 If you turn at my reproof,

behold, I will pour out my spirit to you;

I will make my words known to you.

24 Because I have called and you refused to listen,

have stretched out my hand and no one has heeded,

25 because you have ignored all my counsel

and would have none of my reproof,

26 I also will laugh at your calamity;

I will mock when terror strikes you,

27 when terror strikes you like a storm

and your calamity comes like a whirlwind,

when distress and anguish come upon you.

28 Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but will not find me.


When the world rejects God’s Wisdom, God rejects man’s reaching out to Him when they need Him.   He will “laugh” and when they call, He “will not answer.”    Wisdom is crying out and waiting for mankind to respond.   That is what Wisdom does every day.  Remember, Wisdom is the personification of Christ (see 1 Corinthians 1,2).   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proverbs 9:9

The book of Proverbs gives us insights into so many different areas of life. The book gives us instruction on how to live our lives for God....