Sunday, September 8, 2024

Proverbs 8:13

The book of Proverbs gives us a lot of instruction on a lot of different subjects. One subject that can keep us in God’s wisdom is Godly Follower-ship. Who we follow; where we follow; how we follow are all spoken about in Proverbs. Here is one of them about hating sin in our lives:

Proverbs 8:13 (ESV)

The fear of the LORD is hatred of evil.

Pride and arrogance and the way of evil

and perverted speech I hate.


What do you do if you hate something?   Do you embrace it?  Do you fellowship with it?  Do you hang with it?  Do you have secret rendezvous with it?   I am beginning to realize that in my battle with sin (pride, arrogance,  the evil way and the perverted mouth) I am less incline to treat sin as a hated thing.  Growing up I hated carrots.  You couldn't force me to eat a cooked carrot.   I would get physically sick at the smell of them.  I would often use the statement, "I hate carrots."   I would even take being sent to my room to avoid eating them.  My mom was an English teacher and she would tell me to either eat the cooked carrots or diagram a sentence she would write out.   I would choose to diagram a sentence.   That is what you do when you hate something.    So, too, we should feel hatred about pride and arrogance.  However, in my walk in life I find I embrace my accomplishments as my own.   I tend to hide and embrace the evil way in the darkness of my heart.    If we really, really "fear the Lord," we will find that we avoid and hate sin.  So, where do you stand with it all?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proverbs 8:14

 The book of Proverbs gives us a lot of instruction on a lot of different subjects. One subject that can keep us in God’s wisdom is Godly Fo...