Thursday, June 20, 2024

Proverbs 20:13

The book of Proverbs gives us a lot of instruction on a lot of different subjects. One subject that can keep us in God’s wisdom is Godly Follower-ship. Who we follow; where we follow; how we follow are all spoken about in Proverbs. Here is one of them about sleep:

Proverbs 20:13 (ESV)

13 Love not sleep, lest you come to poverty;

open your eyes, and you will have plenty of bread.


I hate this verse ... not, really.   But, I do come under great conviction from it.  I love sleep.   I love sleep when I have had an exciting time speaking.  The next day I am exhausted and just want to sleep.   I love sleep when I am in fear.  I think if I just go to bed and pull the covers over my head all will be good.   I love sleep on Mondays.    When I was younger I could go days with little or no sleep.   But, God tells us in this proverb that loving sleep can be financially detrimental to your health.  We have to remember, however, when studying this subject that sleep is a gift from God (Psalm 127:2).   We ought not blame sleep.   What Solomon is teaching us here is that the laziness or slothfulness of those who use sleep as a crutch is to be avoided.  When we fail to be industrious for God we fail to please Him.   God gives satisfaction and blessing to those who use the gifts He gives them to there fullest advantage.   God gives blessing to those who plant, not those who sleep through plowing and planting season.   If we use sleep to recuperate, God is pleased.  That is the intent of sleep.  If, on the other hand, we use sleep as a tool of laziness to avoid work or to indulge ourselves, we do harm to our prosperity.   We should note that begging is not working.   Begging is a form of avoiding work.   Walking around with a rake or broom in your hand beats standing to hold a sign.   God rewards work, not laziness characterized by sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proverbs 7:21

The book of Proverbs gives us a lot of instruction on a lot of different subjects. One subject that can keep us in God’s wisdom is Godly Fol...